Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Shout Outs

 Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many are no longer active and it's easier than checking each one. 

Paul Levy, Running a Hospital, is this week's host of Grand Rounds.  It is a the “when things go awry” edition.  Read it here.   
Welcome to this week's edition of Grand Rounds, the weekly rotating carnival of the best of the medical blogosphere. (The host next week is Leslie at Getting Closer to Myself.) Our theme draws on my desire to encourage greater transparency in the delivery of clinical care. In the spirit of Dr. Ernest Codman, I asked doctors, nurses, and other providers to write about incidents in which they made or were present for a medical error. What were the circumstances, and what did you do in response to the situation? How did you feel about the event, and how did it change your practice of medicine afterward

What is acceptable dinner conversation?  Well, we doctors don’t always seem to know.  Check out this nice post by Artemis “No Mom, Billy Doesn’t Want to Stay for Dinner”
I looked up from my plate to see three faces staring at me in horror. Mouths agape, eyes wide, silverware down; my family finally burst out as one: “That’s revolting!

A plea from “A Chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure” who has returned to blogging.
Now if Grunt Doc will only take me off the dead blog list.

“In Case of Emergency:  How to Be Prepared for the Unexpected”  is the beginning of a series that will provide a look at a patient’s trip through the “unexpected emergency”.    Be sure to watch the video that accompanies the post.
During the next two segments, I will take you way behind the scenes and give you tips on how to be prepared in case the unexpected happens and you end up on your way to an emergency room.  This week I play the part of a patient with chest pain and take you inside a New York City ambulance with paramedics Ray Cordi and Hanan Cohen.  Next week my colleague, Richard Schlesinger, and I continue your tour inside the emergency room at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, the first time this institution (where I am on staff) has ever allowed such inside access to the media.

I participated in the first two “Another Little Quilt Swap” rounds.  I am still deciding about this next one as it leans more to “Art” quilts.  It would force me out of my comfort zone, so maybe I will.  We’ll see.  Anyway, anyone interested in participating are encouraged to head over here and read the rules.





This week Dr Anonymous’ guest will be Victoria Powell whose blog is VP Medical .   She is a nurse who lives in Benton, Arkansas.   Check out her post “I am a Nurse” which tells how she became one.  The show begins at  9 pm EST. 

No comments: