Friday, February 12, 2010

Wash Cloth Potholder

A patient gave me the old potholder (pictured below with the replacement I recently made) years ago. I love it, but it has been used to the point of not being able to do its job of protecting my hand from hot pans any longer.
Updated 3/2017-- photos (except my own) and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. and it was easier than checking each one.

I did a Google search and found the instructions for making more. (photo credit/ original from here). The original came from "The How To Book: Do it Yourself with Stevens Utica Sheets & Towels", by J.P. Stevens & Co, 1978.

My new wash cloth was not quite square, so I first squared it up.
Then I folded it as shown and then used my serger to sew the edges together.
I should have changed out my threads, but didn’t as it’s “only a potholder.”
I then crocheted the edges using a simple scalloped stitch which really makes it look so much better.

Here is a great source for crocheted edging.

3 comments:

Jabulani said...

What a fabulous idea! And practical too. I like the crocheted edging.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I've never seen it but I have several extra washcloths and I need potholders. blessings, marlene

Gizabeth Shyder said...

What a great idea! Best of all, you will still remember that patient whenever you use the new one.