Saturday, April 24, 2010

Buckets for the Cure – Just Say No

Updated 3/2017 -- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. and it was easier than checking each one.

I must say I was surprised (astounded) when I first saw the KFC commercial touting their Buckets for the Cure.  It is a partnership between KFC and Susan G. Komen for the Cure.  KFC donated 50 cents for each bucket purchased.
This after the recent addition to KFC’s menu of the double down!   It is my opinion that KFC does not have anyone’s health as their goal.
I want to encourage anyone who wants to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure or other breast cancer groups to simply bypass KFC and donate directly to the group. 
Benefits of donating directly:
  • You will get the tax write-off, not KFC. 
  • You might avoid a heart bypass procedure by eating healthier at home or elsewhere.
I’m not the only one who feels this way.  Check out this nice article by Jennifer LaRue Huget for the Washington Post:  Is that right? Buying KFC buckets fights breast cancer?
A 10-piece bucket of KFC fried chicken (including the sides) costs about $20. If you're really interested in supporting Komen for the Cure's efforts, why not just mail them a check directly?

5 comments:

SeaSpray said...

I agree about the chicken. Commend them for doing something though ..although they are hoping to boost their business.

But doesn't fat add to breast cancer risk?

I continue to remain in AWE of your beautiful quilts. My granddaugher and her mom would love the pink one.

Ramona ..you could have your own shop. You put these things out so quickly.

I know you are a busy physician ..but have you ever thought of owning a shop when you retire. You could do so many things with it. And bring in other quilters and branch off into related areas.

Dreaming again said...

Glad to see people posting about this. I was astounded as well.

rlbates said...

SeaSpray, thank you for your kinds words. Intueri got me started with Etsy, so I have some quilts for sale there. Don't think I want to own a shop when I retire. :)

Jody said...

The connection between high fat and breast cancer goes around and around. This KFC/Komen sales promotion gives those who frequent fast food the illusion that they are contributing to BC research....I agree with your thought about directly contributing to BC research with a caveat: stewardship. This kind of a promotion is not good stewardship in my mind's eye. It's a poor decision on Komen's part. I'll feel much better when that has been acknowledged and corrected before I write the check. Thanks for your post.

Jody Schoger

(PS -- we should have a plastic surgery/survivorship quilt-up!)

Bruce said...

How about the "Shots for a Cure" event at the chain of Claddagh’s Irish Pubs on 4-18-2010? The goal was to break the Guinness Book of Records total of most consecutive shots. They raised $20,200 for breast cancer awareness.

Their hearts were in the right place (I guess) but the irony is the data that confirm that even moderate alcohol use increases the incidence of breast cancer.