Friday, October 8, 2010

Rushed Roses Quilt -- Work in Progress

One of my very early post on this blog featured the rushed roses on this quilt. The post is dated May 22, 2007. Yes, that means I have allowed this quilt top to languish for over three years. I admit I fell “out of love” with the quilt top. I love the rushed roses and center, but the blue border doesn’t work for me.

The need to appliqué all the small leaves slowed me down too. I admit it was easier to put it aside and piece a baby quilt or two instead.
The quilt top has literally hung on my design wall all this time. Granted often covered up by some other work-in-progress. I have decided it is time to re-design the border and breathe new life into the project.

I pulled out my books looking for inspiration. I found a pieced border I felt would work. It is the "double folded ribbon" pattern from Jenny Beyer's book: The Quilter's Album of Blocks & Borders which she credits to Nancy Nelson, 1979.
I like it much better. I have now removed the blue border and replaced it with the pieced one. I have machine appliqued the leaves in place.

Now I am trying to decide how I want to quilt it. This will also determine whether I need more roses/leaves in the corners.  While I decide I’m also working on more baby quilts.

The instructions for making a ruched rose can be found in American's Heritage Quilts published by Better Homes and Gardens, 1991.

No comments: