Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas or Anytime Cooking

Updated 3/2017 -- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.


I probably won’t get most of these made this year, but am posting them for future reference to myself.  They definitely look worth trying.
H/T to @drmlb  for the link to this one:  Savory Omelet Muffins (Kath Eats Real Food Blog).  The recipe includes cottage cheese, eggs, whole wheat flour, smoked salmon, and parmesan cheese.  I make 5 muffins (a work week’s supply) and sound/look yummy.
…………………………….
From The Foodie Physician:  Holiday Spiced Nuts 
She includes a second recipe in the same post for Rosemary & Honey Glazed Nuts. ………….
Makes 2 ½ cups or 8-10 servings
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 egg white
2 ½ cups assorted nuts such as walnuts, almonds and pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. …………….
………………………………….
Via @nytimeshealth Their Recipes for Health have had several vegetable soups recently which includes this one for Puréed Tomato and Red Pepper Soup and this one for Sweet Potato Soup With Ginger, Leek and Apple
……………………………….
TBTAM reposted her recipe for latkes:  The Latke Master’s Latkes
This latke recipe was good enough in 2007  to garner my blog a mention in the New York Times.  ……….
…………………………….
And don’t forget your dogs.  I posted a recipe for dog biscuits a few years ago.  Yesterday I made a some using another recipe.  Here it is:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp molasses
6 Tbsp butter or margarine
6 Tbsp peanut butter
1 egg
Mix all the ingredients.  Knead for two minutes.  Roll out to a little less than 1/2 inch thick.  Cut with the cookie cutters shaped like bones/hearts/fire hydrants/etc.  Bake at 325 degree for 30 minutes.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Chrysalis said...

Love you included a dog recipe. Merry Christmas, Ramona. I thought peanut butter was bad for dogs. I'll have to look into that. I know they shouldn't have grapes, chocolate, onions or garlic, but not sure about peanut butter. Dogs love that.

I hope you had a great Christmas.

rlbates said...

CA, dogs are allowed peanutbutter. Mine loves it! Merry Christmas to you

Chrysalis said...

I'm glad to hear that, because I used to give my Doberman the rest of the peanut butter that was in the plastic jar. He loved it! I'm going to try your recipe out. My dogs will love it! Thanks, Ramona.