Friday, May 24, 2013

Butterfly Quilt--WIP

This quilt has been a WIP off and on for years.  I purchased the butterfly blocks more than 15 yrs ago as a quilt top.  I wish I have taken a photo of the quilt top for documentation purposes, but alas I did not.   The blocks were set together with blocks of yellow fabric like this photo shows which I did not find flattering.  I undid the quilt and set the blocks aside -- 16 of them, though I have only used 12 in this quilt.  I like these fabrics, just not with the butterflies.

Soon after I sketched out a new setting which is close to what I have actually used.  I found the fabrics I wanted to use -- a dark blue with red roses for the sashing which I have since used in other projects and a beige floral with red, blue, and green which I used for other projects saving some for this one.  Unfortunately, I did not save enough and had to "make do" with another fabric for two of the blocks.  I have finished piecing the quilt top, made the quilt sandwich of top/batting/backing, and have begun the marking and quilting.   

I will mark more area than I can quilt with one bobbin of thread, do that quilting, then mark more.  I do this when I have to use chalk marking (for the dark areas) as I find it fades too much if I mark too far ahead.

1 comment:

SeaSpray said...

This is beautiful and special. I love butterflies because they are symbolic of the resurrection and of hope and new beginnings.

When a butterfly randomly crosses my path, I consider it a God wink - smile from God ...just a reminder he's there ..or don't worry, etc. The reason differs depending on what is going on in life. But I always feel good when a butterfly is near by. :)

When it was hot a few days ago, my first butterfly of the year crossed my pat. It was a little baby orange Monarch butterfly. :)